Sprites for Jay (left) and Lucy (right)
Hello again everyone. Today I’ll be talking about my new game idea called Lucy & Jay’s Battle Royale (LJBR). Above you can see the sprites I made for the star characters, Lucy and Jay. The idea came to me when I was speaking with one of my teachers. We were having a discussion about the companies that I wanted to work for in the future.
He was telling me about how these companies in discussion, liked to revisit old arcade games and revamped them. So with that, he encouraged me to do the same. I did a little research after speaking with him and decided that I would do my own variation of the classic game, Bomber-Man.
Although I still haven’t thought out all the details, here was my initial thought process:
Idea: Bomberman meets Mario Kart Multiplayer (2-player) Arena Game
– Instead of dropping bombs to break blocks you shoot them you place mines that are triggered when stepped on by an enemy (then it breaks blocks)
– Goal is to eliminate other Players (or get to the goal before they do)
- You can’t shoot them, you have to lay traps for them
- Traps won’t be revealed until stepped on (?)
- Maybe the goal is to box them into a corner with traps (?)
– Avoid hazards placed by the other player & kill neutral enemies by shooting them
- Various weapons via pickups
- Enemies drop special buffs that can’t be picked up otherwise (ex: higher ammo cap)
– Instead of dropping bombs you place hazards (like mines/etc.)
- These are gained through pickups
- You can only hold so many hazards (capped at 3, maybe less; depends on how strong the power up is or how often it occurs)
**Alternate Idea: Eliminate 2 player gameplay; just lay traps down for enemies
Initially this will only be a 2 player game at maximum just to get the bare minimum working. In the future though if the game turns out well, I envision it to be a great 4-8 player game.
For this game I also decided to make my own art assets. This is the first game where I will be using 100% of my own artwork (whereas before I would use a mix of my own art and free assets, while credit the original creator).
As you can see from the first image in this post, the game will feature mostly pixel art. I made those sprite through this website if anyone is interested!
General Idea of Layout
Bomberman! – Picture from Google
So far I’ve decided that, much like Bomberman, LJBR will be a grid-based map consisting of both non-destructible and destructible blocks. At first, the non-destructible base blocks will stay in a grid formation (see picture above) and the destructible blocks will be randomly generated each game.
Mechanics & Pickups
Overall the mechanics are still in the making. I only came up with this idea a few nights ago. However as of right now, I feel that pickups will be a central part of the gameplay (this may change later). The idea behind this is that players will leave behind traps (think of the banana peels in Mario Kart) around the arena for the other player to encounter.The focus then would be to gather and set as many traps as possible to gain an edge on your opponent.
However after proposing this to another teacher, he raised the question of how this would be implemented as players would be able to see these traps and thus avoid them. So far the only solution i have thought of is that traps will only be visible to the players who placed them and the only way for the other player to see them is if they trigger them or with a special item.
Right now I think the mechanics and overall idea of the game is far from its final iteration. I will be working on it more in the weeks to come. I’ll try my best to post the updates here so you can follow along as well!